"Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it."
~Marian Wright Edelman, author

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Carrying Out My GAME Plan

I have started my journey to implement, monitor and evaluate my GAME plan in order to carry out my action plan.  “The GAME plan enables you to customize your approach to learning tasks, to develop relevant skills that are important to you, and prepares you for lifelong learning” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3-4).  I first needed to list the resources I will need in order to carry out my plan which are:  through my master’s course, collaborate with colleagues and other professionals, and research my unanswered questions on line.  My first goal is demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations and my second goal is advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). 

The additional information I have added was student collaboration.  It was really nice hearing student voices when it comes to what they know from school and home and what I need to know more about in order to educate them.  I have found that some of the information I want to show students after doing research at home is not available at school because of restrictions.  So in order to practice showing more technology I have used my jump drive to display needed material.  

The steps I have taken so far are collaborating with a few colleagues at work on what they use as far as technology in their classrooms with students and how they teach it to new students.  The sad thing is the four teachers that I talked to; do not find that much use for computers in their classroom.  The good news is my motivation to implement technology in my classroom is getting them more excited to do the same thing.  I have meet with our computer lab teacher and gone over how she advocates, models, and teaches students about the internet and found a few new ideas from her.  I will continue to collaborate with my colleagues in finding advice, insight, and new ideas on up coming lessons with my students.  I have also turned to my students and asked for their assistance on what they know and do not know about computers to give me and idea of what needs to be taught.


Reference
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved May 10, 2011 from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I was thinking about how you might teach students about safe use of the Internet. I have come across several resources in the past regarding online safety. Here are a few that I have "starred" as something I want to use to try out:

    Zoodle - "Zoodles is perfect for classroom computers that are used as learning centers. For the classroom, create 3-5 different accounts. Instead of basing the accounts on individual students, the accounts can be based on a learning level." It allows you to filter the content for each level!
    http://ilearntechnology.com/?p=3778

    NetsSmartzKids - "This resource is designed to introduce younger children to basic Internet safety concepts through interactions with animated characters"
    http://www.netsmartz.org/NetSmartzKids

    Webonauts - "Webonauts Internet Academy is a web original game for PBS KIDS GO! that gives kids 8- to 10-year-old an opportunity to have some fun while exploring what it means to be a citizen in a web-infused, information-rich world."
    http://pbskids.org/webonauts/

    Hope these can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I am surpised to hear so many teachers do find much use for computers in their classrooms. I believe there is not enough computers or time to use computers as much as we should as teachers. What reasons did they give you for not wanting or using computers in their classrooms. Also, are these teachers beginning teachers or teachers who have been teaching for a long time? However, it sounds like what you are learning in our masters program and with the help of your computer teacher, it sounds like you can get them to use digital tools and resources in their rooms.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    As a Computer Science teacher I am always excited when classroom teachers want to incorporate cyber safety into their curriculum. Along with the great sources Nick reccomened I would like to add one more. The site cybersmartcurriculum.org offers lessons and resources on various topics of cyber safety. The lesson and resources are arranged by grade levels and offer many different media types.

    It is sad to hear that the teachers you spoke to do not find a need for technology in their classroom. I have run accross the same problem in my building. What I do to encourage them is share successful technology incorporations in my classroom and offer my help to teach them.

    I would love to hear what your students responses are about their computer and cyber knowledge. I have had many students tell me "I know how to use facebook and email, what else do I need to know!" So I'm just interested to know if other students feel this way to or if they are interested in learning about and with technology.

    Good Luck!
    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    I have the problems accessing certain sites at school because of restrictions too. It is very frustrating when you have something you want to share with your students and the technology restrictions make it unavailable. This has taught me to be more prepared by checking the sites prior to the day I will use it. This gives me time to make necessary adjustments or preparations in order to fulfill my lesson plans. Do you find that you check to make sure that what you want to use is accessible prior to teaching a lesson?
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole,
    I have used PBS KIDS GO at home with my daughter but, have not played that game. However, I was very curious to see what it was all about and how I could use it in my classroom and was very impressed. This game has a lot of reading which is good and I think this would be a great resource for 2nd graders. Thanks for providing me with some wonderful resources to use with my students.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt,
    I agree with you there are not enough computers or enough time especially when May comes along and you have report cards, DIBELS, end of the unit assessments, music programs, assembly’s, and everything else you are trying to cram in. The teachers I am referring to are newer and older teachers. I think the reason this is happening is because they have not been exposed to the wonders of what technology can be used for or do for students. The teacher I am teaming with for this reading/writing lesson is excited to finish the assignment with a technology piece. This masters program has helped me tremendously, I have found ways to integrate technology and with the help of many of my instructors, assignments, and classmates such as yourself. With three weeks left of school another teacher would like to team with me and work on integrating technology with the students.
    Thanks Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tabitha,
    Thanks for providing me with a great resource that will help me achieve my goal. I have asked students what they have used the computers for before and what they know about computers and the list is not very long. There are a few games they play in computer lab and maps testing, some students don’t use computers at home. When asked if they would like to create something on the computer they are excited and what to learn more, with that I can’t wait to get started.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel,
    Great question! Oh yes I learned very quickly to check before planning a lesson. The problem is just because I get access prior to the lesson doesn’t mean we will have internet service on the day of the lesson. This does not discourage me not to plan internet lessons, it’s just frustrating.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,

    It is great that you are listening to the voices of your students. Students are valuable resources to utilize when working with technology within the learning environment. They are surrounded by it and have so many ideas.

    It can be challenging to present information via the internet at school because many websites are block due to safety restrictions. Cyber-Safety for children is key factor when teaching students how to research a topic.

    I am a technology teacher for grades K – 6 and really enjoy collaborating with grade level teachers to integrate technology in the curriculum. Technology integration makes the classrooms come alive and enhances the learning process. It is great that you are working with others teachers to use technology in their lessons. Its a win-win environment for teachers and students.

    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Layna,
    I have learned so much just by listening to others not just my colleagues but also my students.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete