As I look at the National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS.S) and go over the information that teachers and students should know, I realize there are a few I am not confident in and need to develop a Game plan for. “The GAME plan requires you to think about and take steps to direct your learning process, specifically while learning about technology and how to integrate it into the curriculum” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3). In order to develop a GAME plan which will help me strengthen my confidence, I first need to list the standards I would like to strengthen which are: 3a demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations and 4a advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources.
Set Goals
“In order to stay up-to-date with current and emerging technologies for teaching and learning, you will need to constantly assess your technology integration skills in order to identify the new knowledge and skills you need” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 4).
One of my goals is to practice and practice what I have learned in order to demonstrate fluency in technology. This will help me so that I can transfer information to my students. Another goal is to advocate, model, and teach my students about the internet and what can be found our there.
Take Action
“After you’ve identified your learning goals, you need to take action to meet those goals” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3). The action that I will take in order to meet my goals are to continue to learn more about technology through my masters course, collaborate with colleagues and other professionals, and research my unanswered questions on line.
Monitor
“As you take action to achieve your learning goals, you’ll need to monitor whether you are making sufficient progress toward your goals and reflect on whether the strategies you have chosen are working” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3). I will be able to monitor my progress by looking at the information I gathered through my masters program, review what I found with my colleagues and other professionals, and by going back over my notes from online resources.
Evaluate and Extend
“During the evaluate stage in self-directed learning, you’ll determine whether you met your goal and reflect on whether your approach worked or whether you should modify your strategies for the future” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 4). By evaluating my goal I will be able to successfully look at the new knowledge of information I teach my students and how well I teach them this new knowledge. I will also be able to look at the new information they take with them and are able to use on their own.
References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont , CA : Wadsworth , Cengage Learning.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved May 10, 2011 from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx
Hi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI was wondering, how will you take action in practicing your use for technology? Do you have a plan to use certain technology certain weeks of the month?
Meredith
Meredith,
ReplyDeleteGreat question, since classroom computers are either not working, slow, or freeze up, I will have to use the computer lab and come up with a lesson I want them to accomplish in there. The great thing about the computer lab is the teacher in there right now works well with what is going on in the classroom and doesn’t mind when I come in with a few ideas of my own. So in order for me to fit in some really good lessons of my own and still allow the computer lab teacher her class time I will probably do this once a month on scheduled days.
Lisa